A night of 爵士乐 in Terry Concert Hall

Jacksonville University Jazz Faculty showcased their talents with a 音乐会, playing their new song and 专辑 to be released in November.

Back to Article
Back to Article

A night of 爵士乐 in Terry Concert Hall

Delfini Jazz performs at Terry Concert Hall

照片 courtesy of Allie Mcswain

照片 courtesy of Allie Mcswain

照片 courtesy of Allie Mcswain

Amelia Reynolds, Contributing Writer

JACKSONVILLE, Fla.— On Sept. 26 in Terry Concert Hall, the JU Jazz Faculty put on a show featuring some of their latest work.

Among the works performed was their new single, “Vitamin G,” which was released that night.

The band, Delfini Jazz, is composed entirely of JU 学院.

500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

The band is to release their extended play 专辑, or EP, titled “Project Alpha” in November. They have been working with Dolphinium Records to produce the EP.

The cover of the 专辑 was created 通过 the students of the JU art department, with the band’s aesthetic in mind.

Allie McSwain, the president of Dolphinium records, explained how the collaboration began.

“We started working with the JU Jazz Faculty last spring originally for a commercial recordings class and have been working on the final production stages these last few months,” she said.

The label works 通过 scouting for talented recording artists who are actively performing original material, which are then brought back to a board to decide whether the artist fits Dolphinium’s vision.

The night consisted of a number of original songs, some composed 通过 the members of the band.

The song “Ballerina” was composed by Ricci. Ricci dedicated the piece to his wife, who was a former ballerina and now works as a teacher. Other songs, such as the newly-released “Vitamin G,” were composed by Giddens. “My Feet” was composed 通过 Champagne.

Audience members included family, friends, and students of the band. Some of their students didn’t go to Jacksonville University, but had come specifically to see them play.

“We hadn’t actually rehearsed until today [Sept. 26], so sometimes that nervous energy makes for a fresh performance,” Ricci said.

For some in attendance, 爵士乐 is more than just 音乐.

Alison Rhodes is a student of one of the band members.

“Jazz is a triumphant music,” she said. “It is a democratic 音乐 and it’s just a way of self-expression to give people who don’t have a voice a way to express themselves.”

The newly renovated Terry Concert Hall hosted a large crowd to soak up all the 音乐. The main focus of the night was to showcase the talent of the JU Jazz Faculty band and to raise awareness for their 专辑.

McSwain says to expect a variety of song types from the EP.

“Vitamin G is a up-beat, crowd-engaging song,” she said. “But, there are a couple slower ones within the 专辑 that will lead you on to other places.”

Lauren Polimeno, a JU student, enjoyed the variety the 音乐会 offered.

“I thought it was a unique experience and it gave me a new outlook on 爵士乐 音乐,” she said. “There were plenty of variation between the songs they played.”

Following the 音乐会, there are a number of events happening in the Performance Art Series showing off what Jacksonville University’s students and 学院 has to offer. To join the mailing list and for full calendar listing you can email [email protected]

Delfini Jazz’s “Project Alpha” will be released this November.

“I hope people could see how universal jazz language can be,” Ricci said. “That the audience can understand the story behind the writing, that they will have a connection, learn something new, and that they appreciate 爵士乐 that much more.”